A little history of the Kirchhoff Building

Welcome to the Kirchhoff building! We bought the building in 2022, after visiting Paducah for Quilt Week and seeing the building for sale. Having run our business out of our house for 12 years, we decided it was time to put down some roots and have a more dedicated space for the business. It’s been Cheryl’s dream to have an old building with a shop on the bottom and an apartment above, and this is just one step closer to that dream.

The Kirchhoff building was built around 1899 by the prominent Kirchhoff family, who still run their fifth generation bakery in downtown Paducah. The building was given or sold to a family friend. This building has never housed a residence. It’s always only been businesses on it’s three floors.

We know that the building housed barbers, a presser, and a cafe through the 1930s. At some point, a small fire happened on the third floor in the cafe, and that floor was closed off and never used again. For that reason, it still looks as it did in the early 1900’s including a hidden room that we know was used for gambling and possibly a speakeasy.

The other two floors still operated as a barbers, a loan company, a division of Owens Cleaners (still operating in town) and much more! It was last an attorney’s office, before becoming our headquarters for our company. The building was empty for three years before we bought it.

We love our little slice of Paducah, and can’t wait to tell you more about our building as we do our renovations.